Our Latest Craft Beer Posts from Twitter

Friday, October 14, 2011

Schneider Weisse

This hefe-weizen is a hearty German wheat beer brewed in accordance with the Reinheitsgebot if 1516 (oops! that's of 1516). Like most good German Hefes, Schneider Weisse has a slightly fruity, spicy nose with those banana and clove aromas and flavors rising to the surface.

A slight departure from some hefe-weizens I've tried is the slightly deeper color.  The malts could be giving just a hint of caramel to the brew.  I'm also noticing just a bit less fluffiness of the head as well, but that could be because of my own crime: I hoard beers in my beer fridge and tend to save them for that "special occasion." In the process of saving, however, I feel that I may hang onto brews just a bit past their optimum freshness. I love aging beers and will, on occasion, bust out a vertical tasting.

The aging process notwithstanding, Schneider Weisse is a solid hefe-weizen with serious flavor.  Slightly lighter brews include Paulaner, Fraziskaner, Weihenstephaner, and Schneider's own Edel Weisse.



If you want to cross over to the dark side, try the legendary Aventinus Weizen-bock (thrill-seekers may even dabble in the Aventinus Eisbock. Youch!) Brooklyn even collaborated to create the Hopfen-Weisse, a hoppier version of the hefe-weizen for those who desire such a thing. Truth be told, I've tried Hopfen-weisse and wasn't that impressed.  It's pretty good, but I didn't love it. Aventinus, on the other hand, may make it onto the desert island with me when I go. Probably one of my Top 5 beers of all time.


All in all, I'd say that you want to buy this beer when you see it.  Beer lovers in general, but hefe-weizen lovers in particular, need to have this brew and give it their full attention.  It may not end up being your favorite beer of all time, but it will definitely provide a standard by which you can shamelessly judge others by.  It's made of the highest quality, and that you can't deny.




No comments:

Post a Comment