Our Latest Craft Beer Posts from Twitter

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Avery Old Jubilation

Avery Old Jubilation:

Not known to skimp on flavor, Avery Old Jubilation has the makings of a post-party nightcap or a pre-party warmup. Reminiscent of a spiced-up Vienna style lager, just this side of a dopplebock with lots of flavorful spices and a warming quality.

This beer is quite handsome, with a rich, dark color and medium body and just the right amound of effervescence. My personal take on the flavor, however, is that it isn't my favorite. The jubilant flavors are just going have to party without me. I'm a sucker for a nutmeggy-clovey, mulled spice kind of flavor but Old Jubilation has some altogether different thing going on.

Overall, I just can't wrap words around the finish: Is it too coppery? Too alcoholic? It certainly isn't sublime in any way. Kinda funky, if you ask me. Not that it's a bad beer, mind you. The quality is there, just not my thing. I've had better winter/celebration brews; I've had more drinkable ones; I've had wilder ones. Avery usually makes good stuff so don't be put off. And if you really like winter or holiday brews, try this one for yourself -- and as always, comment so others can benefit from your experiences. Just make sure you don't run out and get a whole case of it before you try a single or a six pack. Not exactly a "session" beer or a crossover brew for beginners.

Avery Old Jubilation:

Representation: .75
Accessibility: .80
Style: .90
Personal Preference: .75

Total Score: 3.2 Flags

No comments:

Post a Comment