Our Latest Craft Beer Posts from Twitter

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Tommyknocker @TKBrew Imperial Nut Brown Ale


Tommyknocker Imperial Nut Brown Ale:

Direct from the bottle, this beer smells like a dark ale or stout.  It has a rich malty smell, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has a bitterness like a Samuel Smith beer, which is a compliment to Tommyknocker.

You can taste the alcohol, but it is not overpowering, which is nice considering it is 9% abv.  Right out of the fridge, this beer lacks some complex tastes, so I wanted to let it warm up a bit.  As for coloring, a very deep, dark, and rich brown, very dark at its center, letting just enough light into the beer by the pint glass's edge.

After I let it warm up a but, you get some of the more complex tastes I was looking for.  In one way, I was hoping and searching for a very deep, vibrant maple syrup taste, but I had to come to my senses.  This is not called Maple Syrup Ale.  In fact, if Tommyknocker had tried to come up with some witty play on words and maple trees, like Uncle Jemima or something, I would not like this beer at all, because I would feel it was too gimmicky.

I had a similar dislike of Troegs' Java Head Stout, which I have reviewed (click HERE to read).  They called it Java Head and the bottle label art featured a Death's Head made out of coffee beans, and it was very disappointing, in part because of the lack of coffee taste, but also because I thought Troegs was above such marketing ploys. Tommyknocker writes on the label, "Brewed with pure maples syrup," which in mind is truth in advertising and accurate labeling. So, the fact that I can taste some of the earthy sweetness and aroma that goes along with nuts and trees and maple syrup from Tommyknocker's Imperial Nut Brown Ale combined with its Imperial kick, makes this a satisfying beer.

Email the VP

No comments:

Post a Comment