Our Latest Craft Beer Posts from Twitter

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Brasserie Dieu du Ciel! Route des epices

Brasserie Dieu du Ciel! Route des epices (Spice Route):

You may be thinking if this brewery really uses an exclamation point in their name?  They do!  You can check them out at their webpage: www.dieuduciel.com.  


You may also be thinking, "Pepper?  In beer?"  Yes!  And it is quite good.  This "trade route" beer is a rye beer and it comes in at a very drinkable 5.3% abv, which is great, because this is a quite flavorful beer for a relatively low abv.  
Here is my review as listed in my 33 Bottles of Beer book.
The nose is peppery and so is the taste and the finish.  It has a nice caramel color, and the spice of the beer lingers on the palette.
This is a spice-tasting beer, so it is not something you chug during the summer months as you lounge in the sun, but I think this is a great beer to stand up to bold flavors of food as well as jazz-up smooth buttery foods like mild cheeses.  This would be an interesting beer to pair up with a fabulous pepper chocolate I had at Iron Hill in West Chester with Eclat Chocolate (also from West Chester).

And to be honest, I enjoy the "warming" aspect of this beer much better than Winter Warmers distributed during the Winter and Holiday seasons.  While I conjure up visions of Marco Polo bringing back pepper from the East, I can see myself drinking this beer again in the future.
Email the VP

No comments:

Post a Comment