Our Latest Craft Beer Posts from Twitter

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Long Trail Coffee Stout


Long Trail Coffee Stout

When you pour this beer slowly as recommended "for the best experience," you get no bubbles, no head, no effervescence at all. First sip: coffee yes, stout yes. Seems pretty good. Certainly not a disaster. Sips 2-5: good, but here's the problem: this beer is neither very coffee-esque nor very stoutish either. Long Trail has done a good job brewing this, because I don't really taste the 8.0%abv, but to be honest, this is underwhelming.

No offense meant to Long Trail, but this seems like a "beer of convenience." Long Trail is in Vermont, the Vermont Coffee Company is in Vermont. If I were feeling snarky, I would say this beer is as average as Vermont itself. I mean Massachusetts has Bean Town, and Harvard and the Kennedys. Maine has rugged sea coasts and lobsters, and Vermont has...well. But I'm not in a snarky mood, so I will say this is a solid beer, but I would rather have a superior stout like Guinnness or Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout or a kick-ass coffee like Southern Tier's Jah-Va Imperial Stout or even pour some Kahlua in my coffee. I appreciated Long Trail's understated berry taste in their Black Beary Wheat, but I don't usually enjoy berry bears. But I love coffee, and this just didn't get me revved up or excited. Good but not great.

Long Trail Coffee Stout

Representation: .60
Accessibility: .90
Style: .60
Personal Preference: .60

Total: 2.7 Flags

Read our other Coffee Reviews
Read our other Stout Reviews

1 comment:

Scott-TheBrewClub said...

Interesting. I was hoping to try this one but maybe I'll pass.

Post a Comment