Our Latest Craft Beer Posts from Twitter

Monday, October 31, 2011

#Halloween Beer Post: Great Lakes Nosferatu Imperial Red Ale

Greetings, Citizens!  It is that time of year again when the veil that separates our world from the great beyond is at its most thin, and spectres and ghouls walk the earth, and craft beer is enjoyed with Asian cuisine.  What?  Well, at least the last part is true.  I first saw  Great Lakes Nosferatu Imperial Red Ale at a Wegman's weeks ago, and I knew I wanted to try it, so the weekend before Halloween seemed to be the perfect time.


I have to admit that for some time I have not been all too pleased with red ales.  I think it may have something to do with the bad taste of Killian's Irish Red, but needless to say I was pleasantly surprised by this ale, but in retrospect, I suppose I shouldn't have been.  If you have read any of our other Great Lakes reviews on The Ferment Nation, you know that they get rave reviews here.  This imperial red ale has a nice floral hoppy nose, and it has some kick to it at 8.0% abv.  It was crisp and tasty, and I would like to see it in a six pack.  I wanted to try this beer so bad, that I don't even remember how much the four pack cost me, but I liked it a lot. 


And this imperial red ale goes nicely with food, too.  It was a dark and stormy Saturday, but good beer and food brightens up any day.  Citizen Elizabeth* and I enjoyed some Szechuan style Terrifying Tofu and Hellfire Hot and Sour soup, and Nosferatu, the beer with bite, held up to the spicy and tasty food quite nicely with a solid hoppy flavor with some body to it.  Citizen Elizabeth liked its "nice warmth, and its not overly but tasty hoppiness, and that great red color.  What a great beer to review on Halloween!" I think what I like best is that for a lesser brewing company, producing a "Nosferatu" red ale would be a gimmick to drum up sales, but this, like every other Great Lakes beer I have had, is a really solid, tasty beer.

If you have had this beer, tell us what you think -- leave a comment or e-mail me directly at vp@fermentnation.com.  In the meantime, check out our other Great Lakes reviews.

Have fun, be safe, and I will leave you with a gem of modern animated non sequitur humor from Spongebob Squarepants. Enjoy.


Happy Halloween!

*Be on the look-out for a full brewpub review by Citizen Elizabeth to be posted soon.
Email the VP

No comments:

Post a Comment