Our Latest Craft Beer Posts from Twitter

Monday, February 11, 2008

This Sounds Dangerous - Orkney Skullsplitter

Orkney Brewery Skullsplitter Orkney Ale

This comes right off the bottle:
"Orkney -- a small group of islands off the northern tip of Scotland, shrouded in magic and mystery, was the home of Thorfinn Hausakluif (Skullsplitter) 7th Viking Earl of Orkney, around 1000 AD. Now, the Orkney Brewery invites you to step back in time."

I really couldn't have said it better myself. This ale is fit for barbarian and nobleman alike. Drink it out of a chalice or straight out of the bottle. Hell, I'll bet it tastes great right out of the cask. Just grab an axe and crack that baby open!

With just a bit of sweetness and warming alcohol, Skullsplitter has a smooth mouthfeel and deep fruit essence. Red pear, maybe? Grapes? There are some wine-like qualities to it, but Skullsplitter finishes dry like a true ale.

When I tried this beer about 7 or 8 years ago I wasn't a raving fan. I suppose my taste buds weren't manly enough to handle anything this bold. But upon tasting it again for the first time, I'd ransack an entire village just to get my hands on one. Careful, though: Skullsplitter goes down easy at 8.5% abv. If you are prone to hangovers, I'm sure this headache is a doozy, considering the name and appearance of the guy on the label.

Orkney Brewery Skullsplitter Orkney Ale:

Representation: .90
Accessability: .85
Style: .85
Personal Preference: .90

Total Score: 3.5 Flags

No comments:

Post a Comment