Our Latest Craft Beer Posts from Twitter

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I Have a Brother?!





Yards ESA... In a Bottle:

This Extra Special Ale is brewed in the cradle of Liberty, Philadelphia, PA. I had to run out and grab a six pack of Yards ESA in a bottle so I could compare it to the cask ale I had at Standard Tap. I have to say that the bottled version is (very)slightly less magical than the hand-pumped.

Remember our review of Anchor Liberty Ale? The bottle vs. glass controversy rages on, but Yards ESA is equally good either way. Keep in mind the subtle differences: Aeration from the glugging of the beer through the bottle's neck and lip breathes a little life into the texture. Remember, however, that the flavors open up when the olfactory system is truly involved. So the glass-poured Yards ESA is a little creamier but loses a bit of hoppiness.

Anyway, the flavors are bouncy but not explosive, if that makes any sense. In other words, I like the style because it is distinct without the overpowering bitterness of hops or sweetness of malt or liver-tickling alcohol kick. Not too dry, with a clean finish. Medium body, creamy mouthfeel, and extremely drinkable at 6% abv.

You know, it has come to my attention through several meetings in the Orval Office with the Cabinet that my executive orders on the rankings may seem a bit too martial. Should I be a little more understanding? Are those ratings too tough? Well, there is a whole world of beer out there that this FermentNation needs to colonize. But even still, there are plenty of movies that get four stars even though not everyone loves them. And plenty of students ahcieve a 4.0 grade point average in one area of study, but may not even be able to pass in another. So I guess I'll have to call 'em like I see 'em but I will try to keep in mind that it's ok to put something out there with an awesome score. If you don't see anything stand out, you may never venture into unchartered territory. So, in keeping with the mutable nature of the Constitution, I may even go back to re-score some previous entries. If I do, I will mention those in future postings. So with a kinder, gentler heart I give you...

Yards ESA Bottle:

Representation: .90
Accessability: 1.0
Style: .90
Personal Preference: .90

Total Score: 3.7 Flags

1 comment:

ToastMaster General said...

Orval Office! Ahahahahaha!
Brilliant!

What's next...
...The Secretary of Depends?

Post a Comment